St. Anne’s Church Virajpet

ಸಂತ ಅನ್ನಮ್ಮ ಚರ್ಚ್ ಹಾಗೂ ಸಂತ ಅನ್ನಮ್ಮ ವಿದ್ಯಾ ಸಂಸ್ಥೆಗಳು

ವಿರಾಜಪೇಟೆ, ಕೊಡಗು

At. Anne’s Church & St. Snne’s Education Institutions, Virajpet, Kodagu

Logo

ಪ್ರಾಸ್ತಾವಿಕ

ರಾಜ್ಯದಲ್ಲೆ ಅತ್ಯಂತ ಪುರಾತನವಾದ ಚರ್ಚ್ಗಳಲ್ಲಿ ಎರಡನೇ ಸ್ಥಾನದ ಹೆಗ್ಗಳಿಕೆ ಹೊಂದಿರುವ ವೀರಾಜಪೇಟೆಯ ಸಂತ ಅನ್ನಮ್ಮ ದೇವಾಲಯವು 2017ನೇ ನವೆಂಬರ್ 20ರಿಂದ 23ರವರಗೆ ತನ್ನ 225ನೇ ವರ್ಷಾಚರಣೆಯ ಸಂಭ್ರಮ ಸಮಾರಂಭವನ್ನು ಆಚರಿಸಿಕೊಂಡಿತು. ಇದರ ಪ್ರಯುಕ್ತ ಚರ್ಚ್ ಹಾಗೂ ವಿದ್ಯಾಸಂಸ್ಥೆಯ ಆವರಣದಲ್ಲಿ ನ.೨೦ ರಿಂದ ನಾಲ್ಕು ದಿನಗಳ ಕಾಲ ವೈವಿಧ್ಯಮಯ ಕಾರ್ಯಕ್ರಮಗಳು ನಡೆಯಿತು. ಇದರೊಂದಿಗೆ, ಪ್ರಾಥಮಿಕ ಮತ್ತು ಪ್ರೌಢ ಶಾಲೆಯ 175ನೇ ವರ್ಷಾಚರಣೆ, ಪದವಿ ಪೂರ್ವ ಕಾಲೇಜಿನ 25ನೇ ಹಾಗೂ ಪದವಿ ಕಾಲೇಜಿನ 10ನೇ ವಾರ್ಷಿಕೋತ್ಸವ ಸಮಾರಂಭವು ನಡೆಯಿತು. ಸಂತ ಅನ್ನಮ್ಮ ದೇವಾಲಯದ ಇತಿಹಾಸ ಹಿನ್ನಲೆ, ಫೋಟೋ ಮತ್ತು ವೀಡಿಯೋ ಗ್ಯಾಲರಿ ಮುಂತಾದ ಹತ್ತು ಹಲವು ಮಾಹಿತಿಗಳನ್ನು ಇಲ್ಲಿ ನೀಡಲಾಗಿದೆ.

ಕ್ರೈಸ್ತ ಧರ್ಮ ಪ್ರಾರಂಭವಾಗಿ ಇಪ್ಪತ್ತು ಶತಮಾನಗಳಾದವು. ಮೊದಲನೇ ಶತಮಾನದಲ್ಲೇ ಭಾರತಕ್ಕೆ ಯೇಸು ಕ್ರ್ರಿಸ್ತನಿಂದ ಪ್ರೇರಿತನಾದ ಸಂತ ತೋಮಸನು ಬಂದು ಕೇರಳ ಮತ್ತು ತಮಿಳುನಾಡಿನಲ್ಲಿ ಕ್ರೈಸ್ತ ಧರ್ಮವನ್ನು ಪ್ರಚಾರ ಮಾಡಿದರು.
ಪೋರ್ಚುಗೀಸರು, ಡಚ್ಚರು, ಪ್ರೆಂಚ್ ಮತ್ತು ಬ್ರಿಟಿಷರು ಭಾರತಕ್ಕೆ ಬಂದಾಗ ಕೊಂಕಣ ಕರಾವಳಿ, ತಮಿಳುನಾಡು ಕರಾವಳಿ ಮತ್ತು ಕಲ್ಕತ್ತ ಪ್ರದೇಶಗಳಲ್ಲಿ ಕ್ರೈಸ್ತ ಧರ್ಮ ಪ್ರಸಾರವಾಯಿತು. ಸುಮಾರು ಕ್ರಿ.ಶ. 1570ರಲ್ಲಿ ಕರ್ನಾಟಕದ ಕೆನರಾ ಪ್ರದೇಶದಲ್ಲಿ ಗೋವೆಯಿಂದ ವಲಸೆ ಬಂದ ಕೊಂಕಣಿ ಕ್ರೈಸ್ತರು ವಸತಿ ಹೂಡಿದರು. ಚಾರಿತ್ರಿಕ ಕಾರಣಗಳಿಂದ ಕೆನರಾ ಪ್ರದೇಶದಲ್ಲಿದ್ದ ಕೆಲವು ಕ್ರೈಸ್ತರು ಸುಮಾರು ಇನ್ನೂರು ವರ್ಷಗಳ ಹಿಂದೆ ಕೊಡಗಿನ ವೀರರಾಜೇಂದ್ರಪೇಟೆ (ವಿರಾಜಪೇಟೆ)ಯಲ್ಲಿ ಆಶ್ರಯ ಪಡೆದರು. ಈ ಚಾರಿತ್ರಿಕ ಹಿನ್ನಲೆಯ ಪಕ್ಷಿ ನೋಟ ಹೀಗಿದೆ
ಕೊಡಗು ರಾಜ್ಯವನ್ನು ಹಾಲೇರಿ ವಂಶದವರು ಆಳುತ್ತಿದ್ದರು. 1780ನೇ ಇಸವಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಲಿಂಗರಾಜ ಒಡೆಯರು ಸತ್ತಾಗ ಅನರ ಪುತ್ರರಾದ ವೀರರಾಜೇಂದ್ರ ತುಂಬ ಎಳೇವಯಸ್ಸಿನ ಬಾಲಕರಾಗಿದ್ದರು.
ಮೈಸೂರು ರಾಜ್ಯವನ್ನು ಆಳುತ್ತಿದ್ದ ಹೈದರಾಲಿ ಈ ರಾಜಕುಮಾರರನ್ನು ರಕ್ಷಿಸುವ ನೆಪದಿಂದ ಕೊಡಗನ್ನು ತನ್ನದಾಗಿಸಿಕೊಂಡನು. ರಾಜಕುಮಾರರನ್ನು ಮತ್ತು ಅವರ ಪರಿವಾರದವರನ್ನು ಹಾಸನ ಜಿಲ್ಲೆಯ ಗೊರೂರು ಎಂಬಲ್ಲಿ ಇಟ್ಟಿದ್ದನು. ಹಾಗೆಯೇ ಕೊಡಗಿನ ಭದ್ರತೆಗಾಗಿ ಮಡಿಕೇರಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಕೋಟೆಯನ್ನು ಕಟ್ಟಿಸಿ, ತನ್ನ ಸೈನ್ಯದ ತುಕ್ಕಡಿಯೊಂದನ್ನು ಅಲ್ಲಿ ಇಟ್ಟಿದ್ದನು. ಅವರಲ್ಲಿ ಕ್ರೈಸ್ತ ಸೈನಿಕರೂ, ಕೆಲಸಗಾರರೂ ಇದ್ದರು. ಕ್ರೈಸ್ತ ಸೈನಿಕರ ಧಾರ್ಮಿಕ ಅವಶ್ಯಕತೆಗಳಿಗಾಗಿ ಜೆಸ್ವಿಟ್(ಯೇಸು ಸಭೆಯ) ಫ್ರೆಂಚ್ ಗುರುಗಳು ಬಂದು ಹೋಗುತ್ತಿದ್ದರು. ಅಷ್ಟರಲ್ಲಿ ಗೋವಾ ಪ್ರಾಂತ್ಯದ ಧರ್ಮಾಧ್ಯಕ್ಷರ ಆಜ್ಞೆಯ ಮೇರೆಗೆ ಧರ್ಮ ಪ್ರಸರಕ್ಕಾಗಿ ಹೊರಟ ಸ್ವಾಮಿ ಜೋಕಿಮ್ ಮಿರಾಂಡ ಎಂಬುವರು ಮಡಿಕೇರಿಗೆ ಬಂದಿದ್ದರು. ಮಡಿಕೇರಿಯಲ್ಲಿದ್ದ ಕ್ರೈಸ್ತರಿಗೆ ಆಧ್ಯಾತ್ಮಿಕ ಅವಶ್ಯಕತೆಗಳು ತೃಪ್ತಿಕರವಾಗಿ ಪೂರೈಸಲಾಗುತ್ತಿಲ್ಲವೆಂದು ಜೋಕ್ಯಮ್ ಮಿರಾಂಡ ಮಡಿಕೇರಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಉಳಿದರು. ಅವರು ಹೈದರಾಲಿಯೊಂದಿಗೆ ಸ್ನೇಹಪರರಾಗಿದ್ದರು. ಹೈದರಾಲಿಯ ಒಪ್ಪಿಗೆ ಹಾಗೂ ಸಹಾಯವನ್ನು ಪಡೆದು ಕ್ರೈಸ್ತ ಸೈನಿಕರಿಗೆ ಚಿಕ್ಕ ದೇವಾಲಯವನ್ನು (ಚರ್ಚ್) ಕಟ್ಟಿಸಿದರು.
ಸ್ವಲ್ಪ ಸಮಯದ ನಂತರ ಗೋವಾ ಪ್ರಾಂತ್ಯದಿಂದ ಸ್ವಾಮಿ ಜ್ಯೂವಾಂಗ್ ಡಿಕೋಸ್ತ ಮಡಿಕೇರಿಗೆ ಬಂದರು. ಸ್ವಾಮಿ ಜ್ಯೋಕ್ಯು ಮಿರಾಂಡ ಇವರನ್ನು ಸ್ವಾಗತಿಸಿ ತನ್ನ ಉತ್ತರಾಧಿಕಾರಿಯೆಂದು ನೇಮಿಸಿದರು. ಹಾಗೂ ತಾವು ಸುವಾರ್ತೆಯ ಕೆಲಸಕ್ಕಾಗಿ ಬೇರೆಡೆಗಳಲ್ಲಿ ದುಡಿಯಲು ಹೊರಟು ಹೋದರು.
1782ರಲ್ಲಿ ಹೈದರಾಲಿಯು ಮೃತನಾದನು. ತದನಂತರ ಹೈದರಾಲಿಯ ಮಗ ಟಿಪ್ಪು ಸುಲ್ತಾನನು ಪಟ್ಟಕೇರಿದನು. ಗೋರೂರಿನಲ್ಲಿದ್ದ ಕೊಡಗಿನ ಯುವ ರಾಜಕುಮಾರರನ್ನು ಅವರ ಪರಿವಾರದವರನ್ನು ಪೆರಿಯಾಪಟ್ಟಣದ ಸೆರೆಮನೆಯಲ್ಲಿರಿಸಿ ಕೊಡಗು ರಾಜ್ಯ ಆಳಲು ಪ್ರಾರಂಭಿಸಿದರು.
1784ರಲ್ಲಿ ಟಿಪ್ಪು ಸುಲ್ತಾನ ಮತ್ತು ಬ್ರಿಟೀಷರ ಮಧ್ಯೆ ಆದ 2ನೇ ಮೈಸೂರು ಯುದ್ದ ಮಂಗಳೂರಿನ ಸಂದಾನದೊಂದಿಗೆ ಕೊನೆಗೊಂಡಿತು. ಹೀಗೆ ಟಿಪ್ಪುವಿನ ಪಾಲಿಗೆ ಕೆನೆರಾ, ಕರಾವಳಿ ಪ್ರದೇಶ ಅಂದರೆ ಈಗಿನ ದಕ್ಷಿಣ ಮತ್ತು ಉತ್ತರಕನ್ನಡ ಜಿಲ್ಲೆಗಳು ಇರುವ ಪ್ರದೇಶ ಸಿಕ್ಕಿತ್ತು. ಟಿಪ್ಪು ಬ್ರಿಟೀಷರ ವಿರೋಧಿಯಾಗಿದ್ದನು. ಕೆನರಾ ಪ್ರದೇಶದ ಕ್ರೈಸ್ತರು ಬ್ರಿಟೀಷರಿಗೆ ಯುದ್ದದ ಸಂಧರ್ಭದಲ್ಲಿ ಸಹಾಯ ಮಾಡಿದ್ದರು ಎಂಬ ಅನುಮಾನ ಅವನಲ್ಲಿತ್ತು. ಈ ಕಾರಣದಿಂದ ಕೆನರಾ ಪ್ರದೇಶದ ಕ್ರೈಸ್ತರನ್ನು (ಸುಮಾರು 70,000) ಸೆರೆಯಾಳಾಗಿ ಶ್ರೀರಂಗ ಪಟ್ಟಣಕ್ಕೆ ಒಯ್ದನು. ಈ ಮಧ್ಯೆ ಕೊಡಗಿನ ಜನಾಂಗ ಕೊಡಗಿನಲ್ಲಿ ಟಿಪ್ಪುವಿನ ವಿರುದ್ಧ ದಂಗೆ ಎದ್ದರು. ಈ ದಂಗೆಯನ್ನು ಧಮನಿಸಲು 1784ರಲ್ಲಿ ಟಿಪ್ಪು ತನ್ನ ದೊಡ್ಡ ಪಡೆಗಳೊಂದಿಗೆ ಬಂದು ಸಾವಿರಾರು ಕೊಡಗಿನವರನ್ನು ಸೆರೆಯಾಳಾಗಿ ಶ್ರೀರಂಗ ಪಟ್ಟಣಕ್ಕೆ ಹೊಯ್ದನು. 1788ರಲ್ಲಿ ರಾಜಕುಮಾರ ವೀರರಾಜೇಂದ್ರ ಪಿರಿಯಾಪಟ್ಟಣ ಸೆರೆಮನೆಯಿಂದ ತನ್ನ ಪರಿವಾರದವರೊಂದಿಗೆ ತಪ್ಪಿಸಿಕೊಂಡು ಕೊಡಗಿಗೆ ಹಿಂತಿರುಗಿದರು. ಕೊಡಗಿನಲ್ಲಿದ್ದ ತನ್ನ ಜನರನ್ನು ಒಟ್ಟುಗೂಡಿಸಿ 1788ರಲ್ಲಿ ಟಿಪ್ಪುವಿನ ಸೇನೆಯನ್ನು ಕೊಡಗಿನಿಂದ ಹೊರಗಟ್ಟಿದನು.
1789ರಲ್ಲಿ ವೀರರಾಜೆಂದ್ರನು ಕೊಡಗಿನ ರಾಜನಾದನು. ಬ್ರಿಟೀಷರೊಂದಿಗೆ ಒಪ್ಪಂದ ಮಾಡಿಕೊಂಡು ಟಿಪ್ಪುವಿನ ವಿರುದ್ದ ತನ್ನ ರಾಜ್ಯವನ್ನು ಭದ್ರಪಡಿಸಿಕೊಂಡನು. 1791 ಮತ್ತು 1792ರಲ್ಲಿ ಬ್ರಿಟೀಷರಿಗೂ ಟಿಪ್ಪುವಿಗೂ ಮೂರನೇ ಮೈಸೂರು ಯುದ್ದವಾಯಿತು. ಈ ಯುದ್ದದಲ್ಲಿ ಲಾರ್ಡ್ ಕಾರ್ನ್ ವಾಲೀಸ್ ಶ್ರೀರಂಗ ಪಟ್ಟಣದ ಮೇಲೆ ದಾಳಿ ಮಾಡಿದಾಗ 5,000 ಕೊಡಗಿನವರು 700 ಕೆನರಾ ಕೊಂಕಣ ಕ್ರೈಸ್ತರು ಶ್ರೀರಂಗ ಪಟ್ಟಣದ ಸೆರೆಮನೆಯಿಂದ ತಪ್ಪಿಸಿಕೊಂಡು ಪಲಾಯನಗೈದರು. ಕೊಡಗಿನವರು ಕೊಡಗಿಗೆ ಮರಳಿದರೆ ಆದರೆ ಕ್ರೈಸ್ತರು ತಮ್ಮ ನಾಡಾದ ಕೆನರಾ ಪ್ರದೇಶಕ್ಕೆ ಹೋಗಲು ಸಾಧ್ಯವಾಗಲಿಲ್ಲ. ಕಾರಣ ಕೆನರಾ ಪ್ರದೇಶ ಇನ್ನೂ ಟಿಪ್ಪುವಿನ ಅಧೀನದಲ್ಲಿತ್ತು. ಈ ಕಾರಣದಿಂದ ತಪ್ಪಿಸಿಕೊಂಡು ಕೊಡಗಿಗೆ ಬಂದರು. ಕೊಡಗಿಗೆ ನಿರಾಶ್ರಿತರಾಗಿ ಬಂದ ಕ್ರೈಸ್ತ ಜನರೊಂದಿಗೆ ಸೇರಿಕೊಂಡ ಸ್ವಾಮಿ ಜ್ಯೂವಾಂಗ್ ಡಿಕೋಸ್ತ ಕ್ರೈಸ್ತ ಜನರ ನಿರಾಶ್ರಿತ ಪರಿಸ್ಥಿತಿಯನ್ನು ಕೊಡಗಿನ ರಾಜ ವೀರರಾಜೇಂದ್ರನಲ್ಲಿ ತೋಡಿಕೊಂಡರು. ವೀರರಾಜೇಂದ್ರ ಟಿಪ್ಪುವಿನ ವಿರೋಧಿಯಾದರಿಂದ ಕ್ರೈಸ್ತರಿಗೆ ಸ್ವಾಗತವಿತ್ತು ತಾನು ಹೊಸದಾಗಿ ಕಟ್ಟಿಸಿದ ವೀರರಾಜೇಂದ್ರ ಪೇಟೆಯಲ್ಲಿ ನೆಲೆಸುವಂತೆ ವ್ಯವಸ್ಥೆ ಮಾಡಿದರು. ಹೀಗೆ ಬಂದ ನಿರಾಶ್ರಿತರಿಗೆ ಅನೇಕ ಸೌಲಭ್ಯಗಳು ವಿನಾಯಿತಿಗಳು ದೊರೆತವು ರೈತರಿಗೆ ಭೂಮಿ, ದವಸ ಧಾನ್ಯಗಳು, ಮನೆಕಟ್ಟಿಕೊಳ್ಳಲು ಸಹಾಯ, ವ್ಯಾಪಾರಿಗಳಿಗೆ ತಕ್ಕ ಸೌಲಭ್ಯ ಕೊಡಲಾಯಿತು. ಈ ನಿರಾಶ್ರಿತರಿಗೆ 3 ವರ್ಷಗಳವರೆಗೆ ತೆರಿಗೆ ವಿನಾಯಿತಿ. ಸ್ವಾಮಿ ಡಿಕೋಸ್ತ ಮತ್ತು ಅವರ ಆರು ಜನ ಸಹಾಯಕರಿಗೆ ನಿವಾಸದ ಏರ್ಪಾಡು. ದಿನಂಪ್ರತಿ ಒಬ್ಬೊಬ್ಬರಿಗೆ ಒಂದು ಸೇರು ಅಕ್ಕಿ ಅರಮನೆಯಿಂದ ಕೊಡಿಸುವ ಏರ್ಪಾಡು ಮಾಡಿದರು. ಈ ಸಮಯದಲ್ಲಿ ರಾಜ ತನ್ನ ಸ್ವಂತ ಕರ್ಚಿನಲ್ಲಿ ವೀರರಾಜಪೇಟೆಯಲ್ಲಿ ಕ್ರೈಸ್ತರಿಗೆ ದೇವಾಲಯವನ್ನು ಕಟ್ಟಿಸಲು ಮತ್ತು ಅದನ್ನು ನಡೆಸಲು ತಗುಲುವ ವೆಚ್ಚವನ್ನು ಅರಮನೆಯಿಂದ ಭರಿಸುವಂತೆ ಆದೇಶಿಸಿದರು. ಹೀಗೆ 1792ರಲ್ಲಿ ವಿರಾಜಪೇಟೆಯಲ್ಲಿ ಕ್ರೈಸ್ತ ದೇವಾಲಯ ಅಸ್ತಿತ್ವಕ್ಕೆ ಬಂದಿತು. ಈ ಚರ್ಚು ಅಥವಾ ದೇವಾಲಯಕ್ಕೆ ಸಂತ ಅನ್ನಮ್ಮನವರ ಗೌರವಾರ್ಥ ಅವರ ನಾಮಕರಣ ಮಾಡಿದರು. ಇದರ ಪ್ರಥಮ ಧರ್ಮಗುರು ಸ್ವಾಮಿ ಜ್ಯೂವಾಂಗ್ ಡಿಕೋಸ್ತ.
1811ರ ವರೆಗೆ ಡಿಕೋಸ್ತರವರು ಧರ್ಮಗುರುಗಳಾಗಿ ದುಡಿದು, ಅವರ ಉತ್ತರಾಧಿಕಾರಿಯಾಗಿ ಸ್ವಾಮಿ ಜೊವಾವೋ ನ್ಯುನೇಜ್ ನೇಮಕಗೊಂಡರು. ಇವರು ಅಂದಿನ ಒಡೆಯರ ಉತ್ತರಾಧಿಕಾರಿಯಾದ ಲಿಂಗರಾಜರಲ್ಲಿ ತಮಗೆ ದೊಡ್ಡದಾದ ದೇವಾಲಯವನ್ನು ಅಥವಾ ಚರ್ಚ್‍ನ್ನು ಕಟ್ಟಿಸಿಕೊಡಬೇಕೆಂದು ವಿನಂತಿಸಿದ ಮೇರೆಗೆ ಲಿಂಗರಾಜನು ನೂತನ ದೇವಾಲಯದ ನಿರ್ಮಾಣಕ್ಕೆ ಅನುಮತಿಯನ್ನು ಸಹಾಯವನ್ನು ಕೊಡಬೇಕೆಂದು ಶಾಸನವನ್ನು ಹೊರಡಿಸಿದನು. ಈ ಶಾಸನದಲ್ಲಿ ದೇವಾಲಯದ ಕರ್ಚು ವೆಚ್ಚಕ್ಕಾಗಿ ಸಹಾಯವನ್ನು ಅರಮನೆಯಿಂದ ಸಂದಾಯಮಾಡುವ ಏರ್ಪಾಡು ಮಾಡಿದನು.
1834ರಲ್ಲಿ ಬ್ರಿಟೀಷ್ ಸರ್ಕಾರ ಕೊಡಗನ್ನು ಸ್ವಾಧಿನ ಪಡಿಸಿಕೊಂಡಿತು. ಬ್ರಿಟೀಷ್ ಸರ್ಕಾರ ದೇವಾಲಯಕ್ಕೆ ಪ್ರತೀ ತಿಂಗಳು 20 ರುಪಾಯಿ ಕೊಡಲು ಒಪ್ಪಿಕೊಂಡಿತು. ಸರ್ಕಾರದಿಂದ ಈ ಭತ್ಯೆ ಇಂದಿಗೂ ದೇವಾಲಯಕ್ಕೆ ಸಂದಾಯವಾಗುತ್ತದೆ.
1848ರವರೆಗೆ ಸಂತ ಅನ್ನಮ್ಮ ಕ್ರೈಸ್ತ ದೇವಾಲಯ ಇಡೀ ಕೊಡಗಿನ ಏಕೈಕ ದೇವಾಲಯವಾಗಿತ್ತು. 1834ರಲ್ಲಿ ಮೈಸೂರು ಮಡಿಕೇರಿ ನಗರಗಳ ನಡುವೆ ಇರುವ ಹೆದ್ದಾರಿಯ ರಕ್ಷಣೆಗಾಗಿ ಕುಶಾಲನಗರ ಎಂಬಲ್ಲಿ ಬ್ರಿಟೀಶ್ ಸೇನೆ ಚಿಕ್ಕದಾದ ಪಟ್ಟಣವನ್ನು ಕಟ್ಟಿ ಅದನ್ನು ಫ್ರೇಜರ್‍ಪೇಟೆಯೆಂದು ಕರೆದರು. ಅಂತೆಯೇ ಬ್ರಿಟೀಷ್ ಕ್ರೈಸ್ತರು ಈ ಪಟ್ಟಣದಲ್ಲಿ ನೆಲೆಸಿದರು. 1850ರಲ್ಲಿ ವಿರಾಜಪೇಟೆಯನ್ನು ಮೈಸೂರು ಧರ್ಮ ಪ್ರಾಂತ್ಯಕ್ಕೆ ಸೇರಿಸಲಾಯಿತು. ಫ್ರೇಜರ್‍ಪೇಟೆಯಲ್ಲಿದ್ದ ಸ್ವಾಮಿ ಕೆರಿಜೊವೆಯವರನ್ನು ವಿರಾಜಪೇಟೆಯ ಧರ್ಮಗುರುಗಳಾಗಿ ನೇಮಕ ಮಾಡಲಾಯಿತು.
ನಂತರ ಬಂದ ಸ್ವಾಮಿ ಮೊಂತ್ರಾಂದೊರವರು ಮಡಿಕೇರಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ದೇವಾಲಯವೊಂದನ್ನು ಪ್ರಾರಂಭಿಸಿದರು. 1859ರಲ್ಲಿ ಕೊಡಗು ಪ್ರದೇಶವನ್ನು ವೀರರಾಜಪೇಟೆ, ಮಡಿಕೇರಿ ಮತ್ತು ಫ್ರೇಜರ್‍ಪೇಟೆಯೆಂದು ಮೂರು ವಿಭಾಗಗಳಾಗಿ ಮಾಡಲಾಯಿತು.
1867ರಲ್ಲಿ ಎಂ.ಇ.ಪಿ ಸಭೆಯ ಫ್ರೆಂಚ್ ಗುರುಗಳಾದ ಸ್ವಾಮಿ ಗಿಲೋನ್ ವಿರಾಜಪೇಟೆಯ ಧರ್ಮಕೇಂದ್ರದ ಗುರುಗಳಾಗಿ ಬಂದರು. ಇವರು 1868ರಲ್ಲಿ ಇದ್ದ ದೇವಾಲಯದ ಸ್ಥಳದಲ್ಲೇ ಗೋಥಿಕ್ ಮಾದರಿಯ ಹೊಸ ದೇವಾಲವನ್ನು ಕಟ್ಟಿಸಿದರು. ಇದೇ ಈಗ ಇರುವ ಬೃಹತ್ ದೇವಾಲಯ. ಬ್ರಿಟಿಷ್ ಸರ್ಕಾರ ಈ ದೇವಾಲಯದ ನಿರ್ಮಾಣಕ್ಕೆ 2,500/- ರುಪಾಯಿಗಳನ್ನು ಧನಸಹಾಯವನ್ನಾಗಿ ಕೊಟ್ಟಿತು ಎನ್ನಲಾಗಿದೆ. ದೇವಾಲಯವನ್ನು 1870, ಮೇ ತಿಂಗಳಲ್ಲಿ ಆಶೀರ್ವಾದಿಸಲಾಯಿತು. ನಂತ ಸಾವುಕಾರ್ ಸಾಲ್ವಾದೊರ್ ಪಿಂಟೊರವರ ಉದಾರ ಧನ ಸಹಾಯದಿಂದ ದೇವಾಲಯಕ್ಕೆ 150 ಅಡಿ ಎತ್ತರದ ಸುಂದರ ಗೋಪುರವನ್ನು ಕಟ್ಟಲಾಯಿತು. ಇದರ ತುತ್ತ ತುದಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಪಂಚಲೋಹದ 6ಅಡಿ ಎತ್ತರದ ಶಿಲುಬೆಯಿದೆ. 1891ರಲ್ಲಿ ಪ್ಯಾರೀಸ್‍ನಿಂದ ತರಿಸಿದ ಸಂಗೀತಮಯ ನಿನಾದ ಕೊಡುವ ದೊಡ್ಡ 2 ಗಂಟೆಗಳನ್ನು ಬೆಂಗಳೂರಿನ ಧರ್ಮಾಧ್ಯಕ್ಷರ ನಿವಾಸದಲ್ಲಿ ಆಶೀರ್ವದಿಸಿದ ನಂತರ ವಿರಾಜಪೇಟೆಯ ದೇವಾಲಯದ ಗೋಪುರದಲ್ಲಿ ಅಳವಡಿಸಲಾಯಿತು.
ಧರ್ಮಕೇಂದ್ರವು ಭೇದ ಭಾವವಿಲ್ಲದೆ ಸರ್ವ ಜನಾಂಗಗಳ ಸೇವೆ ಮಾಡುತ್ತಿತ್ತು. ಈ ಸೇವೆಗೆ ಅನುಗುಣವಾಗಿ 1842ರಲ್ಲಿ ಸಂತ ಅನ್ನಮ್ಮನವರ ಶಾಲೆ ಸ್ಥಾಪಿಸಲಾಯಿತು.
1940ನೇ ಇಸವಿಯ ತನಕ ಪ್ರಾಥಮಿಕ ಶಾಲೆಯಾಗಿದ್ದುದನ್ನು ಸ್ವಾಮಿ ಐ.ಬಿ. ಪಿಂಟೊರವರು ನೂತನ ಕಟ್ಟಡವನ್ನು ನಿರ್ಮಿಸಿ ಮಾಧ್ಯಮಿಕ ಶಾಲೆಯನ್ನಾಗಿ ಪರಿವರ್ತಿಸಿದರು. ಇವರ ಉತ್ತರಾಧಿಕಾರಿಯಾಗಿ ಬಂದ ಸ್ವಾಮಿ ಜೆ.ಎಮ್. ಡಿಸೋಜರವರು 1948ರಲ್ಲಿ ಇದೇ ಶಾಲೆಯನ್ನು ಪೌಢಶಾಲೆಯನ್ನಾಗಿಸಿದರು. ಸ್ವಾಮಿ ಐ.ಬಿ. ಪಿಂಟೊ ಮತ್ತು ಅವರ ನಂತರ ಬಂದ ಸ್ವಾಮಿ ಜೆ.ಎಮ್. ಡಿಸೋಜರವರು ಸೈಂಟ್ ಜೋಸೆಫ್ಸ್ ಆಫ್ ಟಾಬ್ರ್ಸ್ ಸಭೆಯ ಕನ್ಯಾಸ್ತ್ರೀಯರಿಗಾಗಿ ಮಠವನ್ನು ಕಟ್ಟಿಸಿದರು.
ಸ್ವಾಮಿ ಜೆ.ಎಮ್.ಡಿಸೋಜರವರು ಧರ್ಮಕೇಂದ್ರದಲ್ಲಿ ಶಾಲಾ ಕಟ್ಟಡಗಳನ್ನು ಕಟ್ಟಿಸಿದರು. ಇವರ ನಂತರ ಸ್ವಾಮಿ ಜೇಮ್ಸ್ ರಾವ್ ವಿದ್ಯಾರ್ಥಿನಿಲಯಗಳನ್ನೂ, ಶಾಲಾ ಶಿಕ್ಷಕ ವೃಂದದವರಿಗೆ ನಿವಾಸಗಳನ್ನೂ ಕಟ್ಟಿಸಿದರು. ಉಪಕೇಂದ್ರಗಳಲ್ಲಿ ಕಿರು ದೇವಾಲಯಗಳನ್ನೂ ಗುರುಗಳಿಗೆ ನಿವಾಸಗಳನ್ನೂ ಕೆದಮಳ್ಳೂರಿನಲ್ಲಿ ಕಟ್ಟಿಸಿದರು. ಜಾತಿ, ಮತ, ಭೇದವಿಲ್ಲದೆ ವಿರಾಜಪೇಟೆಯಲ್ಲಿರುವ ಆಸುಪಾಸು ಕಡು ಬಡ ಮಕ್ಕಳ, ಅನಾಥರ ವಿದ್ಯಾರ್ಜನೆಗಾಗಿ ಸಿ.ಸಿ.ಎಫ್. ಸಂಸ್ಥೆಯ ಮೂಲಕ ಸಹಾಯ ಸೌಲಭ್ಯಗಳನ್ನು ಸಿಗುವ ಏರ್ಪಾಡನ್ನೂ ಮಾಡಿದರು.
ಫ್ರೌಢ ಶಾಲಾ ವಿದ್ಯಾರ್ಜನ ಪೂರ್ಣಗೊಳಿಸಲಾಗದೆ ಶಾಲೆ ಬಿಟ್ಟ ವಿದ್ಯಾರ್ಥಿಗಳಿಗಾಗಿ ವೃತ್ತಿಪರ ಶಿಕ್ಷಣ ಕೊಡುವ ತಾಂತ್ರಿಕ ವಿದ್ಯಾ ಸಂಸ್ಥೆಯನ್ನು ಸ್ವಾಮಿ ಬೆನಡಿಕ್ಟ್ ಗೋಮ್ಸ್ ಸ್ಥಾಪಿಸಿದರು.
1792ರಲ್ಲಿ ಸಂತ ಅನ್ನಮ್ಮನವರ ಧರ್ಮಕೇಂದ್ರಕ್ಕೆ ಇಡೀ ಕೊಡಗು ಸೇರಿತ್ತು. ಅಂದು ಸುಮಾರು 700ಕ್ರೈಸ್ತರು ಮಾತ್ರ ಇದ್ದರು. 1859ರಲ್ಲಿ 715 ಜನ ಇದ್ದರೆಂದು ತಿಳಿದು ಬರುತ್ತದೆ.
1918ರಲ್ಲಿ ಸ್ವಾಮಿ ಕೊಶೆ ಅವರ ಜನಗಣತಿಯ ದಾಖಲೆಯ ಪ್ರಕಾರ ಕೊಂಕಣಿ ಭಾಷೆಯನ್ನಾಡುವವರು 843, ತಮಿಳು ಭಾಷೆಯನ್ನಾಡುವವರು40, ಆಂಗ್ಲೋ ಇಂಡಿಯನ್ನರು 16, ಪಾಶ್ಚಾತ್ಯರು 1, ಒಟ್ಟು 900 ಜನ ಕ್ರೈಸ್ತರಿದ್ದರು ಎಂದು ತಿಳಿದು ಬರುತ್ತದೆ.
1990ನೇ ಇಸವಿಯ ಮೈಸೂರು ಧರ್ಮಪ್ರಾಂತ್ಯದ ಅಧಿಕೃತ ದಾಖಲೆಗಳ ಪ್ರಕಾರ ವಿರಾಜಪೇಟೆಯಲ್ಲಿ 3448 ಜನರಿದ್ದಾರೆ. ಈ ಧರ್ಮಕೇಂದ್ರದಿಂದ ಧಾರ್ಮಿಕ ಜಿವನಕ್ಕಾಗಿ ತಮ್ಮ ಜೀವನವನ್ನು ಮುಡಿಪಾಗಿಟ್ಟವರು ಅನೇಕರು. ಇದುವರೆಗೂ 29ಜನ ಯಾಜಕರು, ಅವರಲ್ಲಿ ಒಬ್ಬರಾದ ಅತೀ ವಂದನೀಯ ಜೋಸೆಫ್ ಡಿಸಿಲ್ವರವರು ಬಳ್ಳಾರಿ ಧರ್ಮಪ್ರಾಂತ್ಯದ ಧರ್ಮಾಧ್ಯಕ್ಷರಾಗಿ ನೇಮಕಗೊಂಡಿದ್ದಾರೆ.
ಈ ಧರ್ಮಕೇಂದ್ರದಿಂದ ಗುರುಗಳಾದವರ ಪಟ್ಟಿಯನ್ನು ಲೇಖನದ ಅಂತ್ಯದಲ್ಲಿ ಕೊಡಲಾಗಿದೆ. ಇಲ್ಲಿಂದ ಕನ್ಯಾ ಸ್ತ್ರೀಯರಾದವರು ಸುಮಾರು 100ಜನ. ಹೆಚ್ಚಿನವರು, ಟಾಬ್ರ್ಸ್ ಸಭೆಯ ಕನ್ಯಾಸ್ತ್ರೀಯರು.
ಕಳೆದ 200 ವರ್ಷಗಳಿಂದ ವಿರಾಜಪೇಟೆಯಲ್ಲಿ ದುಡಿದ ಎಲ್ಲಾ ಧರ್ಮಗುರುಗಳ ಪಟ್ಟಿಯನ್ನು ಕಾಲಾನುಕ್ರಮವಾಗಿ ಮಾಡಿ ಈ ಲೇಖನದ ಕೊನೆಯಲ್ಲಿ ಕೊಡಲಾಗಿದೆ
1792ರಲ್ಲಿ ಸಣ್ಣ ಗಿಡವಾಗಿ ಬೀಜಾಂಕುರಗೊಂಡು ಕ್ರೈಸ್ತಸಭೆ ಇಂದು ವಿರಾಜಪೇಟೆಯಲ್ಲಿ ಹೆಮ್ಮರವಾಗಿ ನಿಂತಿದೆ.

ವಿರಾಜಪೇಟೆ ಧರ್ಮಕೇಂದ್ರದಿಂದ ಧರ್ಮಗುರುಗಳಾಗಿ ದುಡಿದವರು/ದುಡಿಯುತ್ತಿತುವವರು/ನಿಧನರಾದವರು
1. ವಂ. ಸ್ಟೀಫನ್ ಸಲ್ಡಾನ್ಹ (ಹುಟ್ಟು) 1855 (ನಿಧನ) 15-11-1890
2. ವಂ. ಡೇವಿಡ್ ಡಿಸೋಜ (ಹುಟ್ಟು) 1845 (ನಿಧನ) 16-01-109
3. ವಂ. ಜೋಸೆಫ್ ಪಯಸ್ (ನಿಧನ) 06-09-1906
4. ವಂ. ಅಂತೋಣಿ ನೊರೋನ್ಹ (ನಿಧನ) 03-10-1906
5. ವಂ. ಜಾನ್ ನೊರೊನ್ಹ (ಹುಟ್ಟು) 1939 (ನಿಧನ) 1912
6. ವಂ. ಬಸ್ತಿಯಾಂವ್ ನೊರೊನ್ಹ (ಹುಟ್ಟು) 1836 (ನಿಧನ) 29-03-1915
7. ವಂ. ಡೇವಿಡ್ ಡಿಸೋಜ (ಹುಟ್ಟು) 1901 (ನಿಧನ) 19-10-1946
8. ವಂ. ಅಂತೋಣಿ ಜಾನ್ ಪಿಂಟೋ (ಹುಟ್ಟು) 1880 (ನಿಧನ) 22-08-1948
9. ವಂ. ಗ್ರೆಗರಿ ಪಿಂಟೋ (ಹುಟ್ಟು) 1885 (ನಿಧನ) 06-06-1950
10. ವಂ. ತೋಮಸ್ ಮೊರಾಸ್ (ಹುಟ್ಟು) 1908 (ನಿಧನ) 12-11-1953
11. ವಂ. ಜೆ.ಡಿ. ಡಿಸೋಜ (ಹುಟ್ಟು) 1881 (ನಿಧನ) 11-02-1956
12. ಅತಿ. ವಂ. ವಿಲಿಯಂ ಟೆಕ್ಸೇರ (ಹುಟ್ಟು) 1890 (ನಿಧನ) 28-12-1957
13. ವಂ. ಸೆಬೆಸ್ಟಿಯನ್ ಡಿಸಿಲ್ವ (ಹುಟ್ಟು) 1881 (ನಿಧನ) 07-09-1968
14. ವಂ. ಸಿರಿಲ್ ನೊರೊನ್ಹ (ಹುಟ್ಟು) 1905 (ನಿಧನ) 1964
15. ಅತಿ. ವಂ. ಎಫ್. ನೊರೊನ್ಹ (ಹುಟ್ಟು) 1896 (ನಿಧನ) 28-12-1967
16. ಅತಿ. ವಂ. ಜೆ.ಬಿ. ಫ್ರೆಂಕ್ (ಹುಟ್ಟು) 1904 (ನಿಧನ) 28-12-1968
17. ವಂ. ಮಥಯಾಸ್ ನೊರೊನ್ಹ (ಹುಟ್ಟು) 1900 (ನಿಧನ) 06-01-1985
18. ವಂ. ಅಲ್‍ಬರ್ಟ್ ಗೊನ್ಸಾಲ್ವೆಸ್ (ಹುಟ್ಟು) 1937 (ನಿಧನ) 10-01-1987
19. ವಂ. ಜೋಸೆಫ್ ಡಿಸೋಜ (ಹುಟ್ಟು) 1943 (ನಿಧನ) 27-06-1990
ಸೇವೆಯಲ್ಲಿರುವವರು
20. ಅತಿ. ವಂ. ಎಮ್. ಮಿನೆಜಸ್ 1906 ವೆಲ್ಲೂರು ಧರ್ಮಕ್ಷೇತ್ರ
21. ವಂ. ಪಾಲ್ ಲೋಬೋ 1928 ಬೆಂಗಳೂರು ಧರ್ಮಕ್ಷೇತ್ರ
22. ಅತಿ. ಘನಹೊಂದಿದ ಜೋಸೆಫ್ ಡಿಸಿಲ್ವ 1932 ಬಳ್ಳಾರಿ ಧರ್ಮಾದ್ಯಕ್ಷೇತ್ರ
23. ವಂ. ಲೂವಿಸ್ ನೊರೋನ್ಹ 1938 ಮೈಸೂರು ಧರ್ಮಕ್ಷೇತ್ರ
24. ವಂ. ಜೋಸೆಫ್ ಡಿಮೆಲ್ಲೂ 1947 ಮೈಸೂರು ಧರ್ಮಕ್ಷೇತ್ರ
25. ವಂ. ಅಲೆಕ್ಸಾಂಡರ್ ಪಿಂಟೋ 1940 ಕಲ್ಕತ್ತ ಧರ್ಮಕ್ಷೇತ್ರ
26. ವಂ. ಜಾನ್.ಎಫ್. ಟೆಕ್ಸೇರ 1949 ಮೈಸೂರು ಧರ್ಮಕ್ಷೇತ್ರ
27. ವಂ. ಲೆಸ್ಲಿ ಮೊರಾಸ್ 1955 ಮೈಸೂರು ಧರ್ಮಕ್ಷೇತ್ರ
28. ವಂ. ಮೈಕಲ್ ಗೊನ್ಸಾಲ್ವೆಸ್ 1954 ಮೈಸೂರು ಧರ್ಮಕ್ಷೇತ್ರ
29. ವಂ. ಜೋಸೆಫ್ ಸಾಲ್ಡಾನ್ಹ 1954 ಮೈಸೂರು ಧರ್ಮಕ್ಷೇತ್ರ

ವಿರಾಜಪೇಟೆಯ ಸಂತ ಅನ್ನಮ್ಮ ದೇವಾಲಯದಲ್ಲಿ ಕಳೆದ 200 ವರ್ಷಗಳಿಂದ ಧರ್ಮಕೇಂದ್ರದ ಗುರುಗಳಾಗಿ ಅಥವಾ ಸಹಾಯಕ ಗುರುಗಳಾಗಿ ದುಡಿದವರ ಪಟ್ಟಿ

1792-1801 ವಂ. ಜುವಾಂಗ್ ಡಿಕೊಸ್ಟ
1792 – ಕೊಡಗಿನ ರಾಜ ವೀರರಾಜೇಂದ್ರ ಒಡೆಯರ್ ಮೊದಲನೆಯ ದೇವಾಲಯವನ್ನು ಕಟ್ಟಿಸಿದರು.
1802-1804 ವಂ. ಕೆರಿಬಿನೊ ರಿಬೆರೊ
1802-1803 ವಂ. ಪೆರೆಕಿನೊ ರಿಬೆರೊ (ಸಹಾಯಕರು)
1804-1809 ವಂ. ಜುವಾಂಗ್ ಡಿಕೊಸ್ಟ
1810-1811 ವಂ. ಅಂತೋನಿಯೊ ಲೋಬೋ (ಸಹಾಯಕರು)
1811-1816 ವಂ. ಜುವಾಂಗ್ ನ್ಯುನೆಸ್
1811 – ಎರಡನೆಯ ದೇವಾಲಯದ ನಿರ್ಮಾಣ ಒಂದು ಗುಡ್ಡದ ಮೇಲೆ, ಹಳೇ ದೇವಾಲಯದಿಂದ ಕೆಲವು ಗಜ ದೂರದಲ್ಲಿ.
1816-1832 ವಂ. ಮರಿಯಾನೊ ಪೊನ್ಸೆಕಾ (1837 ರಲ್ಲಿ ನಿಧನ)
1837-1841 ವಂ. ಸಲ್ವಾದೊರ್ ಮಿನೆಜಸ್
1841-1846 ವಂ. ಜೆ.ಎಂ. ನ್ಯೂನೆಸ್
1850-1851 ವಂ. ಜೆ.ಎಂ.ಕೆರಿಜೊವೆ
1850-1851 ವಂ.ಜೆ. ಕಾಯೊಡೊ (ಸಹಾಯಕರು)
1851-1852 ವಂ. ಎಲ್. ಮೊಂತ್ರಾಂಡೊ (ಸಹಾಯಕರು)
1851-1852 ವಂ. ಕೊಯೊಲ್ಲೊ (ಸಹಾಯಕರು)
1852-1869 ವಂ. ಜೆ.ಎಮ್. ಮೊಂಡುವಿ
1859 ವಂ. ಸಿ. ಡೆಸ್ಸಾಂ
1859-1860 ಗಾಸ್‍ನಿಯರ್
1860 ವಂ. ಬುಶಿಲೋಪ್
1860 ವಂ. ಬಪ್ಪಾರ್ಡ್
1860-1861 ವಂ. ಪಿ, ಜೆಮ್ಮ
1861-1867 ವಂ. ಪಿ.ಸಿ. ಮೆನೆಜಸ್
1867-1870 ವಂ. ಪಿ. ಗಿಲ್ಲೋನ್
1868-1869 ಎರಡನೆಯ ದೇವಾಲಯದ ಪುನರ್ ನಿರ್ಮಾಣ, ಹಳೆ ದೇವಾಲಯವಿದ್ದ ಸ್ಥಳದಲ್ಲೇ ಗಾತಿಕ್ ಶೈಲಿಯ, ಈಗಿರುವ ದೇವಾಲಯ ಕಟ್ಟಲಾಯಿತು. ಗೋಪುರದ ನಿರ್ಮಾಣ ಕೆಲವು ವರ್ಷಗಳ ನಂತರ ಪೂರ್ಣಗೊಂಡಿತು.
1870-1874 ವಂ. ವಿ. ಸಿರೋನ್
1874-1877 ವಂ ಎಫ್. ಜಾನ್‍ಸೋನ್
1877-1881 ವಂ. ಡಿ. ಡಿಸೋಜ
1881-1886 ವಂ ಜೆ.ಎ. ನೊರೋನ್ಹ
1886-1901 ವಂ. ಡಿ. ಡಿಸೋಜ
1901-1905 ವಂ. ಜೆ.ಎ. ನೊರೋನ್ಹ
1905-1906 ವಂ.ಎಮ್. ಪಿನಲೆಲ್
1906-1918 ವಂ.ಜೆ. ಕೋಶೆ
1918-1919 ವಂ.ವಿ.ಹೆಚ್. ಲೋಬೊ
1919-1922 ವಂ.ಜಿ. ಪಿಂಟೊ
1922-1927 ವಂ. ಎ. ಗ್ರಾತೋಂ
1927-1929 ವಂ. ಜಿ.ಎಲ್. ಮಸ್ಕರೆನ್ಸ್‍ಸ್
1929-1939 ವಂ. ಅಂತೋಣಿ ಡಿಸೋಜ
1939-1940 ವಂ.ಎಂ ಡಿಕ್ರೊಜ್
1940-1945 ವಂ.ಐ.ಬಿ. ಪಿಂಟೊ
1945-1965 ವಂ.ಎಂ. ಡಿಸೋಜ
1965-1968 ವಂ.ಜೆ. ಜಾನೆ
1965-1966 ವಂ. ಕ್ಲಾಡ್ ಡಿಸೋಜ(ಸಹಾಯಕರು)
1966-1967 ವಂ. ಲೂಯಿಸ್ ನೊರೊನ (ಸಹಾಯಕರು)
1971-ವಂ.ಸಿ.ಪಿ. ಜೋಸೆಫ್(ಸಹಾಯಕರು)
1974-1978 ವಂ. ವೆಲೆರಿಯನ್ ತವ್ರೊ(ಸಹಾಯಕರು)
1968-1981 ವಂ. ಜೇಮ್‍ಸಿ ರಾವ್
1969-1971 ವಂ. ವೆಲೆರಿಯನ್ ತಾವೂರೊ
1981-1989 ವಂ. ಬೆನಡಿಕ್ಟ್ ಗೋಮ್ಸ್
1983-1984 ವಂ.ಎಸ್.ಡಿ. ಜೋಸೆಫ್(ಸಹಾಯಕರು)
1984-1986 ವಂ.ಜೆ. ರಾಯಪ್ಪ
1988-1989 ವಂ.ಎಮ್. ಅಂತಪ್ಪ
1989-ವಂ. ವಿನ್ಸೆಂಟ್ ಫನಾರ್ಂಂಡಿಸ್
1990-ವಂ. ಲೂರ್ದಪ್ಪ ಪ್ರಸಾದ್(ಸಹಾಯಕರು)

ಲೇಖಕರ ಪರಿಚಯ: ಶ್ರೀ ಎಲ್. ಡಿಮೆಲ್ಲೊ ಇವರು ವಿರಾಜಪೇಟೆ ತಾಲೂಕಿನ ಕೆದಮುಳ್ಳೂರು ಗ್ರಾಮದಲ್ಲಿ ಜನಿಸಿ ಪ್ರಾರಂಭಿಕ ಶಿಕ್ಷಣವನ್ನು ವಿರಾಜಪೇಟೆಯ ಸಂತ ಅನ್ನಮ್ಮ ವಿದ್ಯಾಸಂಸ್ಥೆಯಲ್ಲಿ ಮುಗಿಸಿದರು. ನಂತರÀ ಪದವಿಯನ್ನು ಮಂಗಳೂರಿನ ಸಂತ ಅಲೋಷಿಯಸ್ ಮಹಾವಿದ್ಯಾಲಯದಲ್ಲಿ ಪಡೆದು, ಸ್ವತಂತ್ರ್ಯ ಕೊಡಗು ರಾಜ್ಯದ ಅರಣ್ಯ ಇಲಾಖೆಯಲ್ಲಿ ಸೇವೆಗೆ ಸೇರಿದರು. ನಂತರ ಅರಣ್ಯ ಸಂರಕ್ಷಣಾಧಿಕಾರಿಯಾಗಿ ಬಡ್ತಿಹೊಂದಿ ಮೈಸೂರಿನಲ್ಲಿ ನಿವೃತ್ತಿ ಜೀವನ ನಡೆಸುತ್ತಿದ್ದಾರೆ. ವಿರಾಜಪೇಟೆ ಚರ್ಚ್‍ನ ಬಗೆಗೆ ಆಸಕ್ತಿ ಹೊಂದಿದುರ ಫಲವಾಗಿ ಅದರ ಇತಿಹಾಸವನ್ನು ಸಂಶೋಧನೆ ಮಾಡಿ ಲೇಖನ ಬರೆದಿದ್ದಾರೆ.

-L. D’Mello (Rtd, D.F.O)
The St. Anne’s Church, Virajpet, was established in the year 1792, the same year in which the Virajpet town was founded by the the ruler of Kodagu, Veerarajendra Wodeyar (aslo called Doddaveeraraja) The Town, then known as Veerarjendrapete, was founded by the ruler in commemoration of the meeting which took place between himself and the British army Commander General Armbercvombie while the latter was advancing with this troops from Bombay to Sreerangapatna via Kodagu against Tipu Sultan of Mysore in the I! Mysore war, whereas, the Virajpet church was built and given by the same ruler for the Kanara christians, who in 1792 had escaped the persecution of Tipu sultan at Sreerangaptna and who found asylum at Veerarajendrapete, kodagu, on being welcomed by the ruler to settle down at Veerarajendrapete. The ruler of Kodagu was a close ally Of the British and an enemy of Tipu Sultan.
Kodagu, small hilly state, was then an independent state, ruled by the Rajas of the Haler Dynasty. In the year 1780, the ruler Lingaraja died. His two sons, Veerarajendra and Lingarajendra were of very tender age. Hyder All the ruler of Mysore, under the pretext of protecting these two young princes, seized the country, took away the young princes and their families to Gorurhassan District, kept them in a house there, arranged to look after them and assumed full possession of Kodagu For this, he put a Garrison in Madikeri and in the army of this garrison, there were a number of Christians (roman Catholics) as soldiers and camp followers. A French Jesuit Priest stationed at Sreerangaptna used to pay occasional visits to these Christians and was attending to their spiritual needs. Shortly afterwards, a Goan priest, Father Joachim Miranda, a missionary authorised by the Archbishop of Goa had come to Madikeri. Finding the Christians not getting enough spiritual attention he stopped there to attend to their spiritual needs. He was very friendly with Hyder Ali. With the latter’s permission and help, he built a small church at Madikeri for these Christians. A little later, another Goan priest, Father Joao de Costa, who had some difference of opinion with his Archbishop at Goa, left Goa and came to Madikeri Father Joachim Miranda welcomed this priest to Madikeri and made him his successor at Madikeri, himself leaving for other missionary works.
In the year 1792, Hyder Ali died. His son Tipu Sultan, a tyrant, came to power. He shifted the young Rajas of Kodagu (princes) and their families from Gorur and kept them in a prison at Periyapatna and started ruling Kodagu in his own way.
In 1784, the! Mysore War between Tipu Sultan and the British ended with the Treaty of Mangalore By this treaty, Tipu Sultan got retained the full possession of Kanara (the present North and South Kanara) Being anti-christian, Tipu Sultan suspected that the Christians of Canara were sympathetic towards the British, that they had helped the English army with supply of provisions, etc. during the war. Under this pretext, he captured the entire Christian population of Canada, men, women and children, about 70000 in number and deported them to Sreerangapatna with the idea of converting them to Islam. He destroyed all the churches, not only in Canara, but also elsewhere. Over his domain. The small church at Madikeri also suffered the same fate- the church destroyed, the Christians captured or scattered and the priest, now Father Joao de Costa, banished. With this the short-lived Christianity at Madikeri, Kodagu got completely wiped out. The priest, Father Joao de Costa, however, was secretly moving up and down, incognito, secretly helping the captive Christians, wherever possible. In the meanwhile, in Kodagu up with the tyrannical rule of Tippu Sultan, the natives -the Kodavas rose in rebellion against Tipu Sultan’s rule. To quell these rebellions once and for all, In 1785 (after the || Mysore War) Tipu Sultan marched into Kinda Pl with a very large army and during the process of quelling the rebellion, captured over 10000 Kodavas and deported them to Sreerangaptna as captives.
In December 1788, the Kodagu Prince, Veera Rajendra, with his family managed to escape from Periyapatna prison, returned to Kodagu, gathered all his remaining men in Kodagu and fought Tipu sultan’s army out of Kodaguregained his kingdom and became its ruler (1789) immediately after this, he entered into a treaty with the British against Tippu Sultan’s further attacks or invasions.
In 1791-92 the British declared war against Tipu Sultan- the! Mysore War. In this war, in February 1792, Lord Cornwallis of the British Army, coming from Bangalore side, attacked Sreerangapatna and besieged the fort of Sreerangapatna In the turmoil that followed, about 500 Coorgie (kodava’captives and about 70 Kanara Christian captives escaped. The Kodavas returned to Kodagu, their native place, now independent under their ruler Veera Rajendra Wodeyar, but the Christians who had escaped, had no place of their own to go, as their homeland, Kanara, was still under Tipu sultan’s hold and they dared not go there. They, therefore, moved to Kodagu Father Joao de Costa who was then moving around secretly, joined these Christians. He knew Kodagu very we! Having already worked at Madikeri in the past. Having joined these Christians now, he presented their case to the ruler of Kodagu. Father Joao’de Costa who was then moving around secretly, joined these Christians. The rule, Veeraranjendra Wodeyar, being the enemy of! Tipu Sultan was very happy towel.com these Christians to occupy his kingdom, which was already depopulated and devastated on account of wars, repeated invasions and deportation of people by Tipu Sultan. He invited these Christians to settle down in his newly founded town Sultan. He invited these Christians to settle down in his newly founded town Veerarajendrapete so that the town be peopled.
By a special decree issued on the 10th of November 1792, the Raja of Kodagu Veerarajendra Wodeyar ordered a church to be built up at his own expenses at Veerarajendra Pete for these Christians and provided for its maintenance and upkeep. By the same decree, the Raja conferred various favours and privileges on those Christians who chose to settle down in his kingdom, particularly Veerarajendrapete. According to the decree, those who were cultivators were given land for cultivation, food grains for their livelihood and materials to build their houses and for those who were devoting themselves to business were given _shops constructed with necessary assistance from the palace and money in advance for their business. It was further decreed that no taxes or levies were to be collected from these settlers for a period of 3 years. By another ordinance issued by the Raja, a house was arranged to be built and given for the stay of the priest Fr. Joao’de Costa and a daily ration for the priest and his assistant companions in all seven in number at the rate of one seer of rice per day per person, was arranged to be provided at the cost of the palace.
The church at Virajpet thus came into existence in the year 1792 and Pr. Joao de Costa was its first Vicar (parish Priest) the church was dedicated to the honour of St. Anne. To administer sacraments, however, the vicar as per Ecclesiastical rules, was required to obtain necessary faculties and jurisdiction from the Ecclesiastical authorities. For this, Fr. Joao de Costa, first applied to the Vicar General of Cranganore but got an uncertain reply. He then applied to the Vicar Apostolic of Verapoly (Malabar) who referred him to the Vicar Apostolic of great Mogul, Bombay who was them Msgr. Vittorio Santa Maria, Bishop of Gabale who in his turn issued a decree dated 29th November 1792 appointing Fr. Joao de costa as his missionary in Kodagu, granting him the power. Jurisdiction and necessary faculties to administer sacraments to the faithful in Kodagu. In 1793, the Vicar Apostolic sent a visitor, Fr Raymond of St Joseph to this new mission in Coorg This visitor stayed in Viracept for some days, approved Fr. de costa’s conduct and sent a very favourable report about the state of Christianity under Fr. Joao de Costa.

Fr. Joao de costa’s devoted himself heart and soul to the spiritual welfare of his for. In the year 1793, he founded the Confraternity in honour of St. Anne called St. Anne Confraternity. It was later canonically approved by the Vicar Apostolic who also accorded to it indulgences, plenary and partial to be gained by its members under certain conditions. Another recorded act of Fr. De Costa was one forbidding the Christians to take their complaints whenever differences arose among them to the civil courts as it would cause scandal to the non-Christians.
Until the year 1800 Fr. Joao de costa governed this mission peacefully without any contradictions. In the year 1800 and the following there arose most serious disturbances and contest directed against him by a section of the Christians. They went so far as to refuse to acknowledge him as their parish priest and petitioned against him to the Arch-_bishop of Goa asking to send them a new priest. The chief cause of these disturbances was as follows. In the year 1799, the fourth and final Mysore War between Tippu Sultan and the British ended with the defeat and death of Tipu Sultan (may 179) After the downfall of Tipu Sultan and the fall of this provinces in the hands of the British all the remaining that is about 10000 Christian captives at Sreerangapatna war set free. While most of these Christians returned to Canara their homeland, quite a few moved to Virajpet and joined their relatives who were already settled there and remained in Coorg In Canada as soon as the finally released Christians returned from Sreerangapatna the Arch Bishop of Goa sent new priests to Kanara to take care of them. These priests seeing that all the Christians had not returned to their parishes in Canada but many Christians remained in Coorg moved by envy began to throw discredit on Fr. Joao’de cost, declaiming against him as if he was the cause of it, enlarging upon his defects accusing him of many faults publicly saying that he neither had nor could have any ecclesiasticaljurisdictioninnco.org As a consequence of this they refused to acknowledge as valid the parochial sacraments administered by the said Fr. Joao’de Costa. Hence any Christian settled in Coorg came to their parishes they even went to the extraordinary length of repeating their sacraments as if the sacraments administered by Coorg parts Fr. Joao de costa were invalid and obliged them to Coorg priests Fr. Joao de costa were invalid and obliged them to renew their confession and also renew with all public solemnity the sacrament of matrimony received in Coorg This conduct of the priests in Kanara besides creating grave scandal everywhere disturbed the Christians of Corn! in a particular manner. The result was that the Christians of Coorg became disaffected towards Fr. Joao de costa and by the insinuations of the Parish Priests of Kanara these Christians petitioned first to the King of Coorg to obtain his leave to bring another priest and then to the Arch Bishop of Goa to send them a priest without any exception. The ArchBishop of Goa, through the investigation of the Parish Priests of Kanara appointed Fr. 9uribino Rebeiro a native of Goa as the Parish Priest of Virajpet, Coorg, The Vicar Apostolate Bombay being informed of this sent to Fr. De costa a copy of the Roman decree confirming him as the Parish Priest of Coorg and also sent another copy of the same decree to the Goan Arch Bishop that he might give up his claim on coorg But the Arch Bishop already ill disposed towards the Vicar Apostolic was adamant did not obey this decree and sent Fr. Reberio_to@c.org Fr. Reberio arriving in Virajpet took possession of the Church in the name of the Arch Bishop of Goa. The schism was the sad consequence, one part of the folk sided with Fr. De Costa and another with Fr. Reberio. Fr. De Costa on the advice of the king was compelled to put up in a private house. Relations became very strained, for, Pr. Roberto continued repeating sacraments administered by Fr. De Costa. The Vicar Apostolic was very much upset. To settle all this finally, the Vicar Apostolic appointed Fr. Francis Xavier Pescetto a Carmelite Missionary of the Sun Keri (present Karwar) mission, as a visitor and Superior of Coorg mission. Armed with this power, early in 1804, Fr. Xavier came to Coorg resided for some time in Virajpet, met the different sections of the people discussed with them and pacified them explaining to them the genuineness of Fr. De costa’s appointment as the Parish Priest of Coorg The king was also approached to ascertain his views and wishes. In the meanwhile, there had come to the King many complaints against Fr. Rebeiro Especially for the way in which he was ruling the Christians. The king ordered that Fr. De costa should be allowed to continue to look after the church in his kingdom. by issue of Niroapaa document dated Sth March 1804, the king accepted the claims of the Vicar Apostolic of Bombay in the matter of jurisdiction stating that he would entertain only those who were under the Vicar Apostolic, He refused to admit any priest sent by Arch Bishop of Goa and confirmed Fr. De Costa in his office at Virajpet. Under these circumstances Fr. De Costa in his office at Virajpet Under these circumstances Fr. Rebeiro left the place. In the meanwhile, the Pope’s decree confirming the original decree that Coorg belonged to the Vicar Apostolic of Bombay was also received. With this the three years (1801-1804) schism ended and Fr. De costa continued to be the Vicar of Coorg stationed at Virajpet
Incidentally, it may be of interest to know as to how of the 70000 Christians of Kanara captured and deported to Sreerangapatna by Tipu Sultan in 1784. Only about 1000 were left behind to be set free at the downfall of tipu sultan in 179. The 70000 people captured in 1784 in Kanara consisted of men, women and children, young and old. Quite a good number of these, particularly the old, the mothers and infants could not stand the arduous journey on foot from Kanara to Sreerangapatna over a distance of several hundred miles through the forest and up the ghats and as such, died on the way and those who died were buried on the spot. Those who finally reached Sreerangapatna were put in concentration camps at Ganjam and Scherganjam. Soon after this, there was a heavy outbreak of Cholera, smallpox and dysentery in the camps as a result of which a few thousand died. Of the remaining, a very large number were forcibly and atrociously converted to Islam In batches, were styled and Ahmadis and. were sent to different places with various avocations and assignments inclusive of that as attendants and servants in the army. Thus, barring the few (about 70) who escaped to Vrajpetinl792 hardly about 10000 were left behind in captivity at Sreerangapatna at its downfall in 1799 and these were finally set free. In Kanara, Mr Ravenshaw the collector of Canada under to rehabilitate these Christians who had now returned to their home land Kanara after an exile of 15 years. In fact, the present Konkani Christian population of Kanara are none other than the descendants of those Kanara Christians who survived the 15 years exile and persecution from 1784 to 179 under the tyrant Tipu Sultan and who on being set free in 179, regrouped themselves in Canada and were rehabilitated by the British Government in 180 AD.
Back In Vape Fr. De Costa was succeeded by Fr. Joao Nunez in181 Finding the existing church too small and inadequate for the growing congregation, a petition was made by the priest and the people, to the ruler of Kodagu Lingaraja, the successor of Veera Rajendra Wodeyar, through Vicar Apostolic of Bombay who had then come to Virajpet on his Ecclesiastical visit. On this petitiontherulerlingaraaabya decree dated 21st July 181l granted permission and necessary help from the palace for the construction of a new church. In the same decree, the old existing grants to the Church were ordered to be continued. Consequently, in the year 181l to 1812, a large church was erected on the summit of the hillock. a few yards away from the existing small church (built and given by the Raja Veera Rajendra Wodeyar in 1792) The successive rulers of the Kodagu continued the monthly allowances for the maintenance of the Church until 1834 In the year 1834 the British Government took possession of Kodagu by sending the last Raja Chikaveerarajendra Wodeyar 1820-1834 into exile to Benares granting him a pension. As for the Catholic Church at Virajpet, the British Government agreed to grant a monthly allowance of Rs. 20 for its maintenance.
up to the year 1848, the St. Anne’s Church at Virajpet happened to be the only church in Coorg. The jurisdiction of which extended over the entire province of Coorg! And the congregation was scattered far and wide. We find entries in the Baptism register and the burial register of those days, of people as residents of Nacanadmarquery (present Madikeri) Murad Kadiathnad, Beppunad, Mait had, Ammathnad, Chembebelurbetangala in addition to Virajpet Peta, Arepetchickpetandari The Parish Priest of the church was styled as Vigario Missionario de Igreja De Santa Ann De Reyno De Corga* In Portuguese meaning Vicar Missionary of the Church of St. Anne in the reign of Coorg*
When the British took over Kodagu by sending the last Raja into exile in 1834. Coorg became a province of the British Indian Empire and the British, to take over the rich plantations in Kodagu as also, attracted by the salubrious climate of Kodagu, Started Occupying the kingdom. To control the way between Mysore and Madikeri, in a village called Kushalnagar on the border of the Mysore and Coorg provinces, the British Army built a new town Fraser pet and with the British Christians coming along. Fraserpet became a parish in 1848 Father Kerizovet of the French Foreign Mission Society was the first to be in charge of Fraser pet. In the meanwhile, the Vicar Apostolic- of Bombay found it impossible to send priests to Coorg, As such in 1850 the Vira pet church was attached to the Vicariate of Mysore- (missionaries of Mysore) and Father Kerizovet, who was already at Fraserpet was made the Parish Priest of Virajpet Parish, He was succeeded by Father Mon tran dau in 1851. Father Montrandaustartedachurch at Madikeri. A Mangalorean priest Father B. Coelho was posted to work with Father Montrandau as his assistant at Virajpet but he died of malaria in 1852 The church started by Fr. Mon tran dau at Madikeri was completed by Father Rappard in 1857 Two years later the Coorg Province was divided into 3 units Veerarajendrapetmercara, ll Fraserpet In 1867. Father Guillone of the French Foreign Mission came to Vira pet as the parish priest of the church. He built the present presbytery in 1868 and in 1869 he erected the present spacious church in Gothic _style. It is said that the British Government, then, granted a sum of Rs. 250- for the construction of the church. This new church was blessed in May 1870 The majestic tower of the church was constructed subsequently, through the munificence of late Sawkar Salvador Pinto of Virajpet This tower is 150 feet in height with a six feet high Crucifix made of Panchaloha at the top of the tower. The two bells were brought from Paris in 1891 and were blessed at Bishop’s House, Bangalore, before being installed in the church at Virajpet Up to the first half of the middle of the present century the administration of the parish of Virajpet was being looked after by a special council called the *FABRIC: This Fabrica was composed of the Vicar as Ex-Officio and five members called wardens (mukyastas’) The wardens were elected from among the parishioners. Only persons 1) at least 30 years old, 2) who were able to read and write and 3) who were the members of the St. Anne’s confraternity, were eligible to be elected. These wardens were to remain in charge for a period of five years unless they tendered their resignation. One warden was to retire, in turn, every year, according to the seniority of the election and to replace the retiring warden an election was to take place very year. This election of the warden was required to be confirmed by the Bishop. The Fabrica was to have the ordinary administration of all properties of the church. Their principal duties included 1) Providing for the ornamentation of the church and the altar, for the vestments, books, hosts, wine, candles and all other objects required for the celebration of the Mass and other services. 2) Maintaining in good condition the church, the house, schools and in other buildings and furniture. 3) Undertaking management of lands, gardens and a! Ha other properties of the church, and 4) Fixing salaries of school teachers, the catechist, and other servants of the church. The accounts of the church were to be made and kept by the Vicar, but the wardens had the right to look into them as often as they required. The Vicar could undertake any small expenditure of not more than ten rupees: above that sum the previous consent of the Fabrica was necessary. At the end of the year, the Vicar was to make a summary of the expenditure and revenue of the previous year and this summary was to be examined and approved by the Fabric, was to be signed by at least three of the wardens and sent to the Bishop. According to the custom the wardens had the right to enquire into and decide all complaints and disputes between the Christians when these were brought before them by the either party or the Vicar. As the parish priests, in later years found the system very inconvenient to carry on the day to day administration of the church and the parish, this system was abolished in the year 1923.
From the very beginning, the church has been of service to the local community. Without distinction of caste and creed, and with the service motto in view, the St. Anne’s Church school was started by the church in the year 1842, to serve the educational needs of the people. This school remained as a primary school for quite a long time, until, Father 13. Pinto in 1940”s provided it with a new building and raised it to a middle school Later, in the 1950$ Father J M. D’souza, the successor of Father 13. Pinto, greatly improved upon it and raised it to a high school, establishing a convent and providing a building for the convent. This High School has now a Technical School attached to it and has a student strength of over 250. It is celebrating its 150th anniversary this year. Another school was started by the Virajpet Church at Kedumulur a village 5 kilometres away from Virajpet in the year 18. This school has now grown into a middle school. Or late, the Kedumulur village is bifurcated from the St. Anne’s Church to form a separate parish and consequently, the Kedumulur School comes under the Keduniulur Parish. The Virajpet Church has recently, in the year 1989 opened an Industrial Training Institute at Virajpet offering job-oriented courses.
At present. The Kodagu District (the erstwhile province of Coorg) has twelve parishes 1. Virajpet 2. Madikeri 3. Pollibetta 4. Siddapur 5. Amah 6. Kedumulore 7.Kuta 8. Somwarpet 9. Gopal Pura shanivarsanthe) 1o Suntikoppa 1. Kushalnagarand 12. Chetali, d and Kodagu are classified as a deanery. The total Christian (room Catholic) population of Kodagu, at present, is about 20000, out of which, Virajpet parish accounts for about 350 consisting mostly of Konkani and Malayalam speaking people. To start with, in the year 1792 when the St. Anne’s Church was started, it was the only parish in Kodagu, with a jurisdiction spread over entire Kodagu. The Christian population then was about 70. Since it was the Konkani speaking people (the Kanara Christians) who had come from Sreerangaptna escaping Tipu sultan’s persecution. And had settled down at and around Virajpet, the population consisted of only Konkani people. This position appeared to have continued to be about the same for over one and half centuries.
The exact number of the Christian population of the present Virajpet Parish in the year 1990, as revealed in the Directory of the Diocese of Mysore was 348. The increase in population seemed to be mainly on account of a large number of Christians from Kerala have come and settled down in Coorg. Since the past three or four decades. This historic parish of Virajpet has been a fertile place for vocations, both men and women, clerical and religious. This parish has given over 30 priests, and one among them, Msgr. Joseph D’silva has recently been elevated to be a Bishop. The religious women number almost 10, most of them in the congregation of St. Joseph of Tarbes with, of course, a few others in other congregations. The names of the priests who hailed from Virajpet parish are listed out and are shown in Appendix A.
On the Occasion of the Bicentenary year of founding St. Anne’s Church at Virajpet, It is necessary that we should remember the priests who served in the Virajpet church for the last 20 years is furnished in Appendix B.
Acknowledgement:
My sincere thanks to Father Vincent Fernandes, Parish priest, St. Anne’s Church, Virajpet for making available the old registers and church records from the Archives of the St. Anne’s Church, Virajpet, and to Father Benedict Gomes, Diocesan Procurator, Bishop’s House, Mysore, for furnishing relevant documents from the diocesan archives and helping in getting translated to English the Portuguese matter contained in the registers of the archives of St. Anne’s church, Virajpet, without which, it would never have been possible to compile, this brief history of St. Anne’s Church, Virajpet.
Bibliography:
1. Church, Registers and Records in the archives of the St. Anne’s Church, Virajpet.
2. Gazetteer of Coorg by BN. Srisatyan, Chief Editor of Gazetteers.
3. Tiger of Mysore and Kanara Christians by Rev. Fr. J. P, da P. Sequeira
4. History of the Diocese of Mangalore by Fr. J. Moore S J. 1905 edition.
5. Christianity in Canada by Severino Silva.
6. Hyder Ali and Tipu sultan Inara Thesis for PhD. In 1931 Bombay University, prepared by late William x. Mascarenhas, Indian Historical Research Institute, Bombay.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *